Purple Pillow Review (Unbiased Review)
Our Review of the Purple Pillow
Most people don’t put much thought into their pillows, let alone one that claims to have the first innovation since geese. Some people don't even use a pillow! If you need better neck support, or you wake up all hot and sweaty with a pillow that looks like it’s been left out in the rain, then you’ll be happy I’ve decided to write this purple pillow review.
What is the Purple Pillow
Purple Innovation, the company behind the pillow, started off by creating what they consider to be the most comfortable mattress science has to offer, and there are many who agree, and even if you don’t, you can enjoy their series of clever (and quite funny) commercials. The company has since expanded into other types of products, including the Purple Pillow.
Should You Buy the Purple Pillow
What makes it so special? I’m going to start this purple pillow review, by going through the pros (and some cons to keep the universe balanced), let’s explore its construction. The hyper-elastic polymer is formed into a grid-pattern, meaning that the different portions of it can fold depending on the shape of your neck and head.
It’s also worth noting that the coating on the pillow is also inflatable. If your first night sleeping on it leaves you wondering why the thing sits so low, then try inflating it until you find the perfect height for your head (and neck).
Benefits of the Purple Pillow
After you’ve customized your pillow’s height and position, and broken it in with a good night’s rest, you’ll notice that it offers plenty of benefits over the traditional fluffy pillow:
- Plenty of Room to Breathe – The bountiful amounts of space within the grid allows for vast amounts of air to flow freely in and around the compartments. This breathing room will also help to prevent moisture from collecting within the pillow, helping to keep it dry and extend the length of its life.
- It Won’t Leave You Drenched in Sweat – Partly thanks to the air flow design, as well as the polymers making up its structure, the Purple Pillow will keep its cool all through the night. More than that, the pillow will remain temperature neutral, which is basically just a fancy way of saying that it won’t be too hot or You won’t be waking up covered in sweat, nor will it leave you shivering.
- Leave Fluffing in the Past – The Purple Pillow’s polymer is not only super elastic, but – thanks to its grid pattern – it will release pressure and fold only where it needs to. The pillow will get to know your head while the overall structure of it remains sturdy – meaning, no fluffing required.
- No More Cricks – Thanks to the hundreds of triangles that give the structure of the pillow plenty of lateral strength, it will – as said – form around the shape of your head and neck. So, if you’re someone who chronically wakes up with neck pain, then the support of a Purple Pillow might be something that just does the trick.
- It’s Dirty? Don’t Worry – If the Purple Pillow causes you to no longer wake up drenched in sweat like your traditional pillow, chances are you’ll rarely have to wash it. But if you do, it’s an absolute cinch. Just wash the pillow in lukewarm water with a bit of dish soap, and then let it air dry. As for the cover - just machine wash it normally.
- Great for the Environment – Purple’s patented polymer (which admittedly is super fun to say aloud) is fully biodegradable, so you don’t have to worry about the pillow rotting away in a landfill once it’s past its prime.
- And You – Not only is the Purple Pillow great for the environment, it’s also great for you. It’s CertiPUR-US® Certified, which is basically a fancy way of saying that the pillow is created without any potentially harmful substances. It has no ozone depleters, harmful flame retardants or heavy metals (mercury or lead), formaldehyde, or anything else that could potentially cause you harm from overexposure.
There’s a lot to like about the Purple Pillow, but as with anything in this day and age – or any age for that matter – nothing’s perfect, and the pillow is no different.
Purple Pillow Cons
Whilst the Purple Pillow has a fair amount of benefits, there are a handful of downsides as well, so be sure to keep these in mind when considering getting one for yourself:
- It Sure Isn’t Light – At almost 10 lbs., the Purple Pillow isn’t something that you’ll want to include in your arsenal of pillow fighting pillows, unless of course you are looking to inflict serious damage on the other person.
- Pricey – There’s really no other way to put it. The Purple Pillow isn’t cheap, but if you’re someone with chronic neck pain, someone who frequently drenches your pillow each night, or if you’re just drawn in by its unique design and want to check out something different on the pillow front, then the Purple Pillow might certainly be something worth investigating.
- Ooh, That Smell – There’s a chance that a fresh the pillow will have an overbearing “new pillow smell,” just wash it like normal – in lukewarm water with dish soap and allow it to air dry, then that should take care of the smell.
- It’s May Not Be for Everyone – The Purple Pillow simply isn’t your traditional pillow, so there’s a chance that the grid construction, the weight, or various other unforeseen factors may rub you the wrong way. If that’s the case, then take some comfort in the fact that you can try it out risk-free for 100 nights.
Purple has a 100-night trial period for the pillow and any of their other products, so if any of these cons end up being too great to overcome, then you can always choose a refund. Let’s move onto the next section of this purple pillow review.
What is the Purple Powder the Pillow Ships With
All Purple products are shipped with what they call a “purple powder.” Purple likes to ship their pillows – and mattresses for that matter – extremely tightly. So tight, in fact, that they polymer would stick to itself if it were not for this powder.
So naturally, there’s been some concerns raised over its safety. Can I touch it? Is it safe to breathe? The answer to all of these questions is an easy yes. Basically, it’s a plastic powder, not a talc, and on top of that, it’s chemically inert and is food grade, similar to what you’d find in any plastic spork.
Purple’s so proud of their powder, that they’ve filed for a patent. Ultimately, though, you can always rub it off since it’s primarily there for packing.
Choosing the Purple Pillow
While the Purple Pillow might come at a premium, cost-wise, it’s well suited for anyone who has trouble sleeping, or wakes up with pain in their neck. It’s also a great option if you wake up sweating and are looking for a way to resolve that.
Purple made their name with their mattresses, but it’s interesting to see them try to branch off into other types of products. Pillows may seem like an odd choice for their patented polymer. If you are struggling with any of the problems mentioned above, I’d recommend giving the purple pillow a try, with 100 nights to trial what have you got to lose.